Eat them hot or cold. Serve with a Ginger relish, Fresh mint and yoghurt, Coriander Chutney, simple Heinz Tomato Ketchup! Try them with a Patia sauce or if eating them hot as a main course in a vegetarian meal.
4 medium potatoes
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. Sugar
2 pinches asafoetida
1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ginger puree
2 tbsp. grated onion
1 clove garlic chopped very fine.
2 tbsp. Lemon juice
1 cup of Besan flour
1/2 tsp. fruit salts (e.g. Andrews, Enos)
Handful chopped fresh coriander.
Oil for deep frying.
1. Boil or steam potatoes, mash and allow to cool.
2. Add salt, chilli powder, sugar, pinch asafoetida,
1/2 tsp.turmeric, lemon juice, ginger puree, onion and garlic to potato and mix.
3. Sieve Besan into a mixing bowl and add some salt, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, pinch asafoetida and coriander leaves. Using cold water beat to a medium thickish consistency.
4. Heat oil and form potato mix into round balls about the size of a lime.
5. As oil is coming to up to heat add fruit salt to batter mix. Allow to react for 1 minute.
6. Dip each potato ball in turn into batter mix and put in oil to fry. Allow oil to reheat before placing next wada in oil and do not overcrowd. Keep Wada moving so that they cook evenly. Wada are cooked when batter is golden brown. Drain and serve hot or leave to cool.