1 kilo beef (with bones)
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp aniseed/fennel seed (grounded)
Red chili powder up to taste
Salt up to taste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
3 medium onion
1/2 cup oil/ghee
2 tbsp flour
2 pinch nutmeg
1/2 cup yogurt
1 small pc black salt
2 bay leaves
1 pc dry ginger (sount)
1 bunch coriander leaves
1 medium onion
3 green chilies
1. Heat oil, fry onion till it becomes golden brown, remove them and crush them.
2. Add meat and garam masala (whole spices) yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, salt, chili powder, bay leaves, cinnamon and turmeric powder, then stir cook till oil separates.
3. Now add nutmeg, cardamom, aniseed (saunf) and black salt. Stir cook once again, then add water and put it on low flame for 2 to 3 hrs.
4. When the meat becomes tender then add flour then again put on low flame for a while.
5. Sprinkle with coriander leaves, brown onion, green chopped chilies and ginger strips. Serve with Naan as a main course.
2nd Style of NIHARI
1/2 kilo beef (Ask for Nihari meat at the desi butcher shop.)
salt to taste
1 tsp pepper
1/2tsp haldi powder
1 tsp dhuniya powder
4 tbs oil
3 tbs flour (maida)
1 tsp ginger paste Grind together the following:
2 tsp saunf 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp zeera, seeds of 2 small illaichi 10 cloves 2 bari illaichi 1 stick of cinnamon 1 bay leaf 1/4 tsp jaifal 2 tsp dhuniya seeds
Put oil in a pot. Add meat and fry it a little. Add salt,chili powder,haldi powder,dhuniya powder and ginger paste.
Mix well.Add a little water.
Dissolve the flour in half a cup of water and add this to the meat and bring to boil.
Put all the grinded spices in a fine cotton cloth bundle and add to meat.
Add 3-4 glasses af water,cover and leave to tenderize on very low flame.
When meat has softened remove the bundle of spices and make the curry into desired consistency.
Garnish--Fry some onion slices in a litle oil til golden brown and add to Nihari.
Also garnish with fresh dhuniya, ginger and green chilies.