400 gms. basmati rice
250 gms. cauliflower, cut into flowerettes
100 gms. green peas, shelled
100 gms. carrots, cut into 2.5 cm. long pieces
100 gms. french beans, cut into diamond shaped pieces
3 potatoes, cut into four pieces each
2 black cardamoms
4 green cardamoms
4 cm. cinnamon
1 tsp. shahjeera
3 bay leaves
Few strands saffron
Masala for the vegetables:
250 g. onions, sliced
3/4 cup curd
4 tsp. chilli powder
3 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp. mint paste
1 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
1 1/2 tsp. coriander-cummin powder
Salt to taste
3 tbsp. ghee or more
Ghee for deep frying onions
For the garnish:
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 capsicums, sliced
2 onions, fried till crisp
Few mint leaves
To prepare the vegetables:
To prepare the rice:
7. Lightly roast the saffron, powder and sprinkle over the rice.
1. Wash the vegetables and dry them well.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the masala, well except the ghee, and marinate
the vegetables in it for one hour.
3. Heat ghee and deep fry the onions till well browned. Remove from ghee.
4. When cool, grind to a paste.
5. Wash and cook the rice in double the quantity of water. When done, remove
the rice and spread it in a plate.
6. Keep aside to cool.
8. Heat ghee in a kadai and season it with the whole spices.
9. Add the vegetables and saute for five minutes. 10. Add a little water and
cook the vegetables till done and almost dry.
11. In a baking dish arrange alternate layers of rice and the prepared
12. Top with garnish and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes.
Serve hot with raita and papad.
Copyright © 2003
Brought to you
by The Anta Kadi and Recipes